Back-to-school shopping was always a time of excitement in our home: a fresh box of crayons, brightly colored folders, and a fun backpack made the end of summer better. One vital school supply that can’t be found in any store is your Deerfield Public Library card! More than ever, we hope your family will turn to the Deerfield Public Library and our many resources to help you throughout this school year. Even if you are already aware of Hoopla and Libby, our website is full of additional resources that may be new to you and are likely to come in quite handy, whatever your learning circumstances.
From our homepage, hover over “Research” at the top menu bar and then click on “Online Resources.” Scroll down a bit to click on “For Kids.” A whole world of helpful resources awaits you…any day and almost anytime!
- Brainfuse Help Now offers help from real, live tutors online! Students can receive help in math, science, social studies or English. Available for Kindergarten – 12th grade, seven days a week from 2 – 9 p.m., except on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day and the Fourth of July.
- Scholastic Teachables includes printable activities for any subject: math, science, reading comprehension, STEM, writing, and beyond.
- TumbleBook Library and TumbleMath: TumbleBook Library is a collection of animated, talking picture books, which kids can read or follow along as they are read aloud. TumbleMath features engaging literature with math instruction and can help kids learn math independently, at their own pace.
- For help with homework projects, be sure to check out Encyclopedia Britannica and Britannica Kids, Gale Biography Resource Center, and Scholastic Go!
- Feeling creative? Check out Creativebug for thousands of arts and crafts ideas and video lessons.
- If you want help figuring out the next great book to read, check out NoveList K-8 Plus. Full of customizable recommendations, it’s almost as good as your Youth Services Librarians.
- Interested in studying a language? Mango Languages has many options, from Spanish to Japanese, English to Pirate! (“Belay yer carousin’” is a fun phrase if your child needs to stop goofing around!)
We hope your student is enjoying all the great books on Hoopla and Libby, but did you know that Hoopla contains so much more? Movies, television shows, and music are also available for free (love that word!).
Remember, the place to start for back-to-school support is Deerfield Public Library! We’re just a phone call, click, or visit away…and always happy to help!