September is such a wonderful month of the year! The Autumn season begins, the leaves start to change color, and it is a great time of year to go apple picking at an orchard! That is why we chose to make an Apple “Stained Glass” Window Decoration for this month’s Grab and Go Craft. You can pick up one craft kit per child either outside the library on the clothesline (located on the west side of the building, closest to the park from 10 a.m.-7 p.m.), or inside the library at the Youth Services desk during browsing hours. Kits may be picked up Monday, September 14-Sunday, September 20, while supplies last.
- Red, green, and yellow tissue paper squares
- One acetate sheet
- One red foam apple-shaped border
- One green foam leaf
- One brown foam stem
- One red ribbon
- A thin paintbrush or Q-tip
- A small paper or plastic cup or bowl
- White school glue (not a glue stick)
- Clear tape
- Separate all of the tissue paper squares. This will make it easier once it is time to stick them on the acetate sheet.
- To make the tissue paper glaze, mix white glue with a small amount of water until the glue is a thin liquid. It helps to put a little bit of water into the cup or bowl first, then squirt 3-5 drops of glue into it. Then stir the water and glue mixture together with your paintbrush or Q-tip.
- Use your paintbrush or Q-tip to apply the glaze to one side of the acetate sheet.
- Place the tissue squares on the acetate, and then use your brush or Q-tip to cover them with a layer of glaze. Allow time to dry.
- Once the tissue squares are dry, flip your apple over to the front side. Peel the white sticker off of the back of the red apple border, and place it on your apple.
- Peel the stickers off of the back of the leaf and stem too, and stick them on the top of your apple in the appropriate spots.
- Flip your apple back over to the backside, and make a loop with your red ribbon at the top, so that you will be able to hang it on a window. Tape the loop down with your clear tape.
- Hang your Apple “Stained Glass” Window Decoration up on a window, and enjoy the rays of sunlight shining through!
- If you want to read stories or learn facts about apples, be sure to check out the books below!