Happy February! Valentine’s Day is a great time to show the people in your life that you love them. It doesn’t have to be romantic! Especially now, we can use Valentine’s Day to reach out to others to spread joy and love.
Many of us celebrate either in school or by going out with loved ones. While we may not be able to do that this year, we can still have a fun-filled celebration at home! Below, I have put together a fun Valentine’s Day grab & go craft and a couple of lists with themed books. Feel free to reach out to the Youth and Teen Librarians at email@example.com for more recommendations!
Grab & Go kits will be available beginning February 8 while supplies last. Check back throughout the week as we refill our new Creation Station. These craft kits have a “K” in the lower left-hand corner.
Yarn, adhesive googly eyes, pipe cleaner, paper cup
Scissors, glue (hot glue gun, tacky glue, and elmer’s glue work)
- The yarn might have shifted or unraveled in travel, so first, let’s rewrap the yarn around four of our fingers. For our friends with smaller hands, you might have to leave some space in between your fingers!
- Remove the yarn from your fingers and thread the pipe cleaner through the hole your hand leaves behind. Using the pipe cleaner, twist a knot around the strands on one side. This will be the top of your Love Bug!
- On the opposite side of the pipe cleaner, use your scissors cut through the yarn to create the hair.
- Put a dab of glue on the bottom of your paper cup. Glue the “hair” on your cup with the loose ends of the pipe cleaners pointing up. Allow the glue to dry before changing the shape of your pipe cleaner antennas!
- Peel the adhesive off of the back of the googly eyes and decorate as you please!
Valentine’s Day Titles:
- Valentine’s Day by Anne F. Rockwell
- Nancy Drew: Valentine’s Day Secret by Carolyn Keene
- LEGO Wrecking Valentine’s Day! By Trey King
- Love from the Crayons by Drew Daywalt
- Pete the Cat Valentine’s Day is Cool by Kim Dean *
*available on Hoopla
- Valentine’s Day by Gail Gibbons
- Valentine’s Day by Lisa Jackson
- Valentine’s Day by Katie Gillespie *
- Let’s Bake Valentine’s Day Treats! by Ruth Owen *
- Super Simple Valentine’s Day Activities by Megan Borgert-Spaniol *
- Origami for Valentine’s Day by Robyn Hardyman *
- Valentine’s Day Crafts by Claire Mathiowetz *
*available on Hoopla