1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a program designed to help you raise a reader. Reading aloud to your child is the best way you can get your child ready to read. The idea is very straightforward: read any 1,000 books to your child before kindergarten begins.
- Any child from birth to Pre-K may register for the program.
- Stop by the Youth Services Desk to register and get a free tote bag, your child’s log and a list of recommended books.
- For every book you read to your child, your child can color in a seed on the log sheet.
- After every 10 books read, choose a favorite title to record in the log.
- Finish 100 books? Come in for your next log and a small prize.
- Have you read 1,000 books to your child? Congratulations! Come in for an assortment of special prizes.
My child loves to read the same book over and over. Is that okay?
Absolutely! Each time you read a book to your child, whether it’s the same book over and over or different books each time, color in a seed on your log.
My child heard 5 books at storytime today. Do those books count?
Any book counts, whether your child listens to it in storytime or preschool, at home or in the car. The books don’t have to come from the Deerfield Library.
I have more than one child. Can I count the same book for each of them?
How do I know which books to read?
There is no set list of 1,000 books. Read whatever books your child likes! We are happy to help you find good books for your child, and each log sheet comes with a list of recommended titles to help you get started.
What happens when we read 1,000 books?
Congratulations! You are raising a reader. Come in to the library to receive special prizes for your child AND for yourself! Together, you have reached this milestone!
For More Information
Visit the Youth Services desk to sign up and receive a free tote bag!