Have you ever come to the library in search of an item, only to find that we do not carry it? While we always strive to maintain a collection that meets the needs of all our patrons, at times we may not have the particular item you are looking for. If you ever find yourself in this position, worry not! We are here to help, with borrowing options in place that can ensure you are able to obtain the items you need, even if we don’t carry them. Check out the FAQs below to learn more!
The library does not carry the item I need, what now?
If you are a Deerfield Public Library cardholder with an account in good standing (accumulated fines totaling less than $10), we can order the item from another library that does carry it- either through the LINKin library consortium, or through Interlibrary Loan.
What is the difference between LINKin and Interlibrary Loan borrowing?
- A consortium of ten libraries in Illinois, with a group catalog that allows you to order items from any other LINKin library.
- Ordering through LINKin is a quicker and easier process than ordering through Interlibrary Loan. Items ordered from other LINKin libraries are generally available for pick up at the Deerfield library within a week.
- You can search for and order items right from home! The LINKin catalog can be accessed from the Deerfield Public Library catalog (Encore), or by clicking here.
- For more information on the LINKin consortium and the other LINKin libraries, click here.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Facts:
- Interlibrary Loan is a completely separate service from LINKin. If an item is not available at the Deerfield Public Library or through LINKin, an Interlibrary Loan request can be made.
- Books and Photocopies can be requested from anywhere within the continental U.S.
- DVDs, CDs, Audiobooks, and Playaways can only be requested from public libraries in Illinois.
- We cannot request Blu-rays, Video Games, Software, multiple copies of any item, or items that are considered new.
- ILL requests can be made by calling or visiting the youth, media, or adult services desks.
- It can take anywhere from one to four weeks for an ILL request to be processed, depending on the location and workflow of the lending library.
Where can I get more information on LINKin and ILL?
- Check out our circulation policies for borrowing specifics.
- As always, feel free to give us a call at 847.945.3311. We are here to help you find what you’re looking for!