Below are the instructions for April’s Grab & Go kits! Grab one at our outdoor Creation Station or stop by the Youth Department at the Library. While supplies last.
Instructions for the Pre K & Kindergarten craft can be found inside each kit.
Instructions for the Grades 1-4 craft can be found inside each kit.
Simple Macramé Hanger
For April, grades 5+ can make a simple macramé hanger! You could plant something in the provided pot, or store things like pencils or maybe your favorite small stuffie.
Your kit includes:
- A keyring
- 4 strands of yarn
- A plastic pot
Supplies you’ll need from home
- Something to put in the pot – dirt and a plant, pencils and pens, a small stuffie, whatever you want!
- A hook to hang the keyring from
- Thread all 4 pieces of yarn through the keyring and pull them so the yarn is even on both sides. Tie a knot at the top by looping all of the yarn strands around themselves, and pull the knot as close to the keyring as possible.
- Separate out the strands into 4 sets of 2.
- Knot one of the pairs of strands together about a 1/3 of the way down the strands. Repeat with each of the four pairs.
- Take the right strand from the first pair and the left strand of the second pair, and tie a knot in them, about an inch below the first row of knots. Repeat across the other strands, finishing by tying the left strand from the first pair with the right strand of the last pair.
- Repeat step 4 to create a third row of knots, about an inch below the second row of knots.
- Tie all the strands together in a big knot at the bottom, leaving a long tail of hanging strands.
- Slide your pot into the pouch you’ve just created, and you’re done! Get a command strip hook and hang it on your wall, or maybe attach the keyring to a magnet for your locker! Plant something in your pot, or store pencils and pens. Feel free to decorate your pot, too!