Summer is here! To celebrate the end of the school year and the warm weather, teens can now get their very own plant kit.
Grab & Go kits will be available beginning June 14th while supplies last. You can pick up a kit at a table in the Teen Space or check our green Creation Station by the library entrance. These craft kits will have a sticker on them marking them as a Teen Craft.
For those of you who want to learn more about gardening and planting, I’ve included a list of books. We’d love to see how you choose to decorate your pots and how your plants are growing! You can send us pictures at email@example.com.
- 1 clay pot
- 1 seed starter pellet
- 1 seed paper in the shape of the Earth
- 2 small bowls
- some water
- art supplies (if you choose to decorate your pot)
- You will need to soak your seed paper overnight! Take your Earth-shaped seed paper, place it into a bowl, and cover it completely with water. Then place it somewhere safe overnight.
- If you want, decorate your pot! You can use paint, markers, stickers…. Whatever you want to do!
- In another bowl, place the round seed starter pellet. Pour water over it and watch the soil grow! It may take a few minutes for it to fully expand, so be patient. The seed starter will also be in a white net that is biodegradable. Once it has fully expanded, you can take the soil out of the net or place the soil with the net into the small pot.
- Your seed paper should now be soggy and wet! Tear it up and place it just under the surface of the seed starter soil.
- Place your pot in a sunny location inside your home or somewhere outside and wait for your seeds to grow! And don’t forget to water your plant!
Want to learn more about plants and gardening? Check out these titles!
- Dig In! 12 Easy Gardening Projects Using Kitchen Scraps by Kari A. Cornell
- How Not To Kill Your Houseplant by Veronica Peerless
- The Nitty-Gritty Gardening Book: Fun Projects For All Seasons by Kari A. Cornell
- Gardening in Miniature: Create Your Own Tiny Living World by Janit Calvo
- Glass Gardens: Easy Terrariums, Aeriums, and Aquariums for your Home or Office by Melanie Florence