Below are the instructions for March’s Grab & Go kits! Grab one at our outdoor Creation Station or stop by the Youth Department at the Library. While supplies last.
PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE GRADE RECOMMENDATIONS!
Create a butterfly puppet following the instructions in the kit or let your child take their own unique approach! Once the butterfly is finished, your child can take it on adventures inside and out! You and your child can write a shared story about the butterfly’s adventures, alternating lines as you write. Send pictures of your child’s butterfly to youthservices@
If your child loves butterflies, be sure to check out these books.
The Very Impatient Caterpillar
Glasswings: A Butterfly’s Story
Hello, Little One: A Monarch Butterfly Story
For March, grades 1-4 can create a beautiful work of art to commemorate the start of Spring!
Your kit includes:
- A cardstock piece of paper with the outline of a flower on it
- A plastic needle
- A small ball of yarn
- A pompom
Supplies you’ll need from home:
- Glue or tape
- Using your needle, carefully punch holes around the flower outline.
- Thread your yarn through the needle
- Cut off a long piece of yarn and tie a knot at the end. Weave it in the holes you created along the outline.
- Keep going until your flower is covered to your liking! You might have to cut multiple pieces of yarn, depending on how much you want to use.
- Glue or tape your pompom to the center. Color in the “Happy Spring!” message, if you want. Maybe gift it to a friend or loved one?
Click here to see all of the picture books we have in our Seasons – Spring category!
Click here to see all the nonfiction books we have to learn more about spring!
Grades 5+ can create beautiful crystals and bring them to life! You will feel like a real chemist watching your crystal grow in 3 to 4 days. Chemistry has never been so much fun!
Instructions can be found in each kit. (Adult supervision recommended.)
Click here to find books to learn more about crystals!