There is nothing better than cooking with your own fresh produce! Start small with this herb garden starter kit.
- Potting soil
- 4 seed bags (Basil, Dill, Lavender, and Mint)
- 4 egg carton sections or biodegradable seed cups (both function the same)
- 2 popsicle sticks
Other Materials Needed:
- A spoon or something to scoop the dirt with
- A tray or plate to catch any extra water
- Scoop dirt into each of the 4 pods
- Make a divot in the center of each pod
- Pour each bag of seeds into their own pod
- Cover the seeds with soil and set them on a tray
- Carefully cut popsicle sticks in half and label each half with one of the herb names (use this to keep track of which herb is which)
- Water the seeds and set them in a sunny spot
- Let grow for about 8 weeks (or until sprouts start to outgrow the containers) watering as needed
- Replant the pods in either a garden or larger container, the whole pod can go in as it is biodegradable!
- Water and watch them grow! Enjoy once plants fully form.
- If you have used coffee grounds you can mix them in with the soil
- Covering the pods with a clear plastic lid can help sprouts form faster but are not necessary
- If you don’t have any pots or garden space try recycling other containers for your growing herbs! (a milk jug or carton with the top half cut off works great)
- If you are worried about drainage poke a hole in the bottom of each pod with a safety pin or pen