With this month’s Teen Grab & Go craft, you’ll use an embroidery hoop to weave a beautiful piece of art! Kits are available while supplies last outside in the green creation station and inside the Library in the Youth Services Department.
- A skein of yarn
- A skein of embroidery floss
- ~14ft of warp thread on a popsicle stick
- 2 pipe cleaners
- 1 embroidery hoop
- 1 plastic needle
- Scissors to trim string
- A ruler or measuring tape
- A marker
- Other strips of material that can be woven such as: felting wool, other sizes and styles of yarn, strips of plastic bags, strips of old fabric or t-shirts, and ribbon. (not necessary but could be used to add more textures and colors!)
- Remove the inner hoop of the embroidery hoop
- Go around the inner embroidery hoop and make a mark every 1 inch going around (this is not necessary but will make the next steps easier)
- Follow either of these instructions to set up your loom, the marks from the previous step will help you know where the thread should land as you are warping:
- Once these steps are complete you can use any of these weaving techniques in any combination of materials to fill your loom, you can use the provided needle or just use your fingers!
- Check out other weaving blogs and youtube channels for inspiration, here are some recommendations: